Sunday, September 03, 2006

Back to Basics

Just about anyone who has followed a LC Way of Life for any length of time occasionally find that their carb counts have crept up....often to unacceptable levels.

It may be that you decide to have something, that while it's not exactly low carb, at least it's a "healthy" carb. It may be eating out....that "whole wheat" wrap when you should have a salad with meat. Or it may be at home.....grabbing a few slices of "whole wheat" bread for a quick sandwich instead of taking the time to cook something. It happens too many of us.....and then we have to sit back and reevaluate what we're doing!

For me, when I get my carbs up too high several things happen:
1. my cravings increase. While following low carb my cravings are pretty much non-existent, but once my carbs get up over 75g/day or so I start looking for foods that are higher in carbs, often hot healthy choices.
2. My muscles and joints start aching. Stiffness is more pronounced in the morning.
3. My GI tract starts protesting. Increased indigestion as well as increased constipation and cramping.
4. My energy level drops. Carbs may cause a rapid, short term increase in energy, but overall I have much more sustainable energy when sticking with lower carb levels.

Part of the reason I have these "symptoms" is because with increased carb intake comes increased processed food intake....at least for me. Processed foods contain a whole lot of unnatural ingredients.....any of which can be causing damage to our bodies. Processed foods often contain trans-fats, which are damaging even in small amounts.

The other side effect of carb creep is weight loss stall, or even gain!!!! I've been lucky that I haven’t' gained, but I've been at the same weight for about a month now.

So.....I'm starting tomorrow, going back to basics, eating clean.

My rules:
1. Breakfast of my high protein shake (EAS carb control with 1 oz cream and 4 oz liquid egg whites added.)
2. Lunch of a large salad with meat (mostly Caesar, my favorite)
3. Dinner of 4-6oz meat/fish/poultry with at least 2 servings of veggies.
4. High protein and fat snacks only (No or little carbs)
5. Minimum of 50 oz pure water per day, in addition to any coffee, tea, etc I may also have.
6. Limit soda and other drinks containing artificial sweeteners to one serving per day. (NO sugar alcohols)
7. Get back on all supplements (Vit E, Fish oil, Folic acid, Mg, Calcium, MVI, K)
8. Daily walks with my dogs for 20-30 minutes, minimum.
9. Bike 3-4 times/week.
10. While at work or home, get up and walk for a few minutes at least every hour (setting reminder for this!)

I follow Protein Power Life Plan, which advocates adequate amounts of high quality protein and keeping carbs to less than 30g/day initially. There are no restrictions on fat, as long as the fat is fresh, unprocessed healthy fats, mainly saturated and monosaturated fats.

I'm also going to do 2 other things. 1. Post my food and activity daily on Fitday, and 2. Post here at least weekly. Tomorrow I will post my starting weight and my body measurements. Weekly I will update these stats. I'll also post any good recipes I try.

No comments: